Monday, June 15, 2009

I hate nature...

So there are some things in life that really drive me crazy, even though I know that it's the way it's supposed to be, everything happens for a reason, and even though I don't like it there's nothing I can do about it and it's completely natural.

My case in point today? Our baby birds. I looked at them this morning. Their eyes were open they had a dusting of gray fuzz on them and they were starting to look like birds. As I was getting ready I noticed a blue jay hopping around the bush, hovering over the top and being a pest. I thought to myself, "Oh no you don't!" and chased him away whenever I saw him. Then I had to go grocery shopping and in the pit of my stomach knew something would happen while I was gone.

I came home and checked on the nest and found it empty. No baby birds. Is it silly to cry over such a thing? Well if it is, I'm utterly silly, because even though there's about a billion sparrows in the world and we could probably do with a few less, these were our sparrows and it makes me mad that things like this happen.

Mommy bird is trying again; there's already another egg in the nest. But part of me wants to tell her it's not worth it. That blue jay will be back and will probably do another "natural" dastardly deed and she'll be another baby-less mommy this year.

I hate nature.

2 comments:

Ashley said...

Oh, that is so sad. I was looking forward to seeing your baby sparrows grow. I remember being about 16 years old and crying when the corn I planted was blown over by a raging storm. I prayed and prayed for that corn...realizing even at the time that most normal teenagers don't cry and pray over corn. The corn didn't survive, but we learned a better place to plant the corn...and next year we had the sweetest corn ever. My point is that nature is resilient and I'm sure you'll see baby sparrows one of these years!

Kristen Brady said...

I'm sad with you.