Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Learning

Something that I'm having so much fun with is watching Ruby learn. Seeing her mind grow and develop is an extraordinary thing. As she's grown from a baby to the cutest-little-toddler-you've-ever-seen it's miraculous to observe her connect the dots about the world around her. She understands more and more how things work, how she can manipulate objects and how to communicate with us.

We decided early on that we wanted to teach her to sign. We started watching Baby Signing Time dvd's when she was about 6 months old so Bobby and I could learn along with Ruby. Around 10 months she started making her first signs. Now she has a handful she regularly does. But the most exciting thing is that she learns them so quickly now.

When I say, "Do you want to watch Baby Signing Time?" she gets so excited and crawls over to the TV. It's the only show we let her watch and she adores it. And she learns signs all on her own just from watching. She started doing "baby" a couple weeks ago and it totally caught us by surprise. And she started doing "banana" this week along with "shoes". Sure, she doesn't do them all perfectly, but it's absolutely amazing being able to share this language with her.

So now her repetoire that she signs includes: more, eat, milk, all done, wash hands, banana, strawberry, baby, shoes and dog. She also understands a few more signs that she hasn't started doing on her own yet.

Gosh, I love this girl. And I love seeing her learn.

1 comment:

Jess said...

I took sign language as my foreign language at OSU and would definitely teach my kids. One of my classes consisted of watching (hearing) kids sign and it was BEYOND adorable. :)