Tuesday, February 16, 2010

The Nursery

The nursery has been a work in progress for many months now. It all started back in the summer when we first found out we were pregnant. I started researching and thinking up plans right away. Bobby thinks it's funny that when I get my mind wrapped around something, I'm gung-ho (aka obsessed) about it and won't stop until it's done. In this case it's babies. I've been on the internet everyday looking at new things, learning about my body and this growing little girl, and researching every baby product imaginable.

We knew for our nursery we wanted to do something gender neutral, so that the bedding and accessories could be used again, so I decided to do something with bright colors. I ordered fabric to make a bed skirt and bumper (don't worry, that suckers not going on there until Ruby's older, no SIDS risk here!), picked paint, shopped for a shelf, and made art for the wall. Bobby was such a big help in getting it all together and I can't wait for Ruby to meet her daddy.

Here's what this room was before:


Our house is so small that the nursery can't be totally devoted to our little Ruby, so the piano and armoire have to stay, but luckily the room's big enough that it doesn't matter all that much. It will be nice though, when we move into a little bit bigger house and Ruby will have a room all to herself and I'll have room all to myself for sewing, projects and painting.

Here's the after:



I love the room! The colors are fun and I think it'll be a great place for our girl to live her first year or so (can you believe we'll only be here for another year and a couple months?! Crazy!). It's still a little bit of a work in progress. I'd like to find a new shade for the lamp and the chair isn't the coziest thing in the world. I'm going to try it out for a few weeks and see if it works, but it could get the boot.

So, what do you think?

4 comments:

Mom said...

I think it's really cute. I can't wait til Dad and I get to come and see the room and Ruby in person!

Annie Oldham said...

I think it's very cute. I was telling Candice about the art work you made for the nursery the other day. Definitely bragging about my sister's skills :)

p.s. My word verification for leaving this comment was "feces." Really, feces? Come on, blogger!

Jess said...

Very nice! I love the dark wood of the crib. So excited to see Ruby!

McArthur Family said...

It's super cute! I love it!