Friday, April 10, 2009

How does your garden grow?

Technically, our garden isn't growing yet...but it will be, very very soon. Bobby and I have been planning what we want to do with the yard for a few weeks now and we've already got some veggie seeds sprouting inside before they make the move outside. Bobby has been more than eager to get that started...the idea of saving money over the summer by growing our own produce, and eating said produce really makes him happy. However, the work of figuring out what to do to make the yard beautiful is pretty much up to me, since that interests Bobby just a little bit less.

There's a little spot by our front door that I want to plant some hostas and annuals. It was a pathetic little patch of barely-growing grass before, but I've dug it up and edged it and now it just awaits some plants.


As you walk to our backyard there's a few steps going down to the patio and I'm planning on doing a small daylily bed on either side. I love daylilies and can't wait to see the bright color here.


And this is where the majority of the garden is going to be. We'll have tomatoes, zucchini, summer squash, peppers and an herb garden. The bed further back by the back door will be a cut flower garden...Bobby will be able to get me flowers for free (but before anyone says anything, let me add that he has gotten me flowers pretty regularly the last few weeks. This man does take very good care of me.)


We also have a fence along the back of the yard and here is where more experimentation will happen...we plan on growing corn, watermelon, cabbage and other yummy things...it'll be fun to see how they do.

I can't wait for summer and fresh vegetables and beautiful flowers!

2 comments:

Annie Oldham said...

I love everything you have planned. You'll have to take pictures periodically to show how everything is doing.

Jess said...

Hooray! I have TONS of little seedlings going in peat pots in my living room. It's so exciting! :)
Jess