Saturday, July 2, 2011

Sampaguita

A few days before we moved Bobby was telling me about the national flower of the Philippines, where he went on his mission. All he knew about it was that they called it "Sampaguita". So I started googling it and found out that it's actually called Jasminum Sambac 'Maid of Orleans'. And I found out I could buy it. So after we got to Texas I ordered it as well as another variety called 'Grand Duke of Tuscany'. The Sampaguita bloomed a few days after we got it and man, that sucker is strong! It has a really beautiful, heady floral fragance similar to a gardenia. Bobby said that in the Philippines there were bushes of this stuff with thousands of blooms and you could smell them hundreds of feet away. I believe it.

1 comment:

Ashley said...

I want to get some. I love the smell of jasmine!! :-)